Wickedly Wet Wednesday

The post-rain weather today resulted in an exceptionally mild and exceedingly comfortable temperature this morning, almost to the point where I contemplated wearing a shirt with some sleeves. I quickly erased that nonsensical thought from my nonsensical brain and rushed out the door, only to find it was lightly drizzling. I walked down the steps to the street and pondered whether I should ride or just call it quits. The sky looked like hell was about to descend upon the city, so maybe a ride was not the wisest thing to do. But a wise man I am not, and I decided a ride, even a wet one, would be better than no ride at all.

No thanks to a peculiarly scheduled meeting running from 6:30-7:00am I had to settle for a late start. I rolled out of the house at 7:15am, right around the same time I usually return from my morning cycling adventures.

Last night was basically a nonstop torrential downpour until midnight. This morning there was a noticeable lack of sunshine, leaving little time for the roads and vegetation to dry, so the entire cycling course was blanketed with water. Both Red Chameleon and I got drenched when riding through nasty still rain water puddles, and light mud from the various gravel-only segments of today's 40k ride. There was water and mud everywhere on the bike and my clothes when I returned home.

Although I awoke not feeling as if I had a decent nights rest, I was able to maintain really good pace today. There were a few sections of the ride where I once again hit 37kph. I was consciously pushing myself to ride hard to ensure I stayed ahead of a pack of cars delicately trailing my behind. Even portions of the ride where I historically ride slower were above average today.

The main question on my mind: why? What is causing this sudden change in endurance and strength?


Peeping out the post-ride stats, I am pleasantly surprised to see I finally hit the 28kph speed average for the entire 40k course. Not one to complain, but I do wonder if the stats would have been higher had I not encountered so much vehicular traffic on the last five kilometers of the return ride. I did not expect so much congestion at this hour of the morning.

In fact, there was a two kilometer stretch where there were a long line of cars competing with older people slowly riding their bicycles, leaving a steady stream of vehicles crawling cautiously behind the cyclists. I got stuck near the rear of this nonsense, and lost substantial speed and cadence, likely affecting my overall ride statistics. Nevertheless, I am quite happy with how things turned out this morning.

My goal today was to complete a metric half century but I was only able to muster 40k due to limited cycling time. Were it not for that earlier meeting, I absolutely would have completed the full 50k course, and would have enjoyed every minute of it! Barring no weather treachery, tomorrow I am poised to ride a full 50k before returning and diving into the countless Thursday meetings on my calendar.

Here we are, half way through the week, almost to the longer holiday weekend. Even though I am in Tokyo, I am excited and looking forward to indulging in some nice American barbeque in honor of the Fourth of July celebration. I have some hamburgers, hot dogs, beef brisket, and all the requisite side dishes waiting to be devoured in celebratory revelry.

Happy hump day!🥃

You've successfully subscribed to saiklr
Great! Next, complete checkout to get full access to all premium content.
Error! Could not sign up. invalid link.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Error! Could not sign in. Please try again.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Error! Stripe checkout failed.
Success! Your billing info is updated.
Error! Billing info update failed.